• Started playing marimba at age 5
• During grade school, played and took lessons on marimba, piano, organ, vibra-harp, and clarinet.
• Played clarinet in the high school band from 3rd grade until 9th grade, switching to the bassoon in 9th grade.
• Played bassoon in high school band and in college orchestra.
• Played marimba as a soloist with the band and orchestra.
• Traveled to Europe with the American Youth Band (marimba and bassoon)
• Joined the NHBD after retiring from teaching.
BANDS/GROUPS I HAVE PLAYED OR AM PLAYING IN
• Cambridge High School Band
• American Youth Band
• Knox College Orchestra
• Monmouth College Triple Trio and Band
• * New Horizons Band Dallas
• * Wylie Community Band
• Degrees: B.A. in English Literature, Knox College; Masters of Arts Teaching in Earth Science, Indiana U.; Ed.D. in Science Education, Indiana U.
• Taught middle school and high school science for 33 years – (Earth science, environmental science and general science courses)
• Taught teachers through a variety of adjunct college instructor positions (Indiana U., Purdue U., University of Houston, Rice University)
and through teacher professional development programs: Earth / environmental / science education / teaching methods topics.
• Co-Director of the Houston ISD/ Rice University Model Science Laboratory
• President of the Texas Earth Science Teachers Association, National Earth Science Teachers Association, Science Teachers Association of Texas, and New Horizons Band Dallas.
• Developed Earth and environmental science curricula and authored an Earth Science textbook.
• Educational Director for the Safe at Home / Safe at School Science and Pipeline Safety Program.
• 3 children and 5 grandchildren
• Bee keeping
• Watercolor painting
• I have raised a variety of unusual pets including: raccoon, rabbit, squirrel, monkey, and skunk.
• Some of my most unique travel adventures have taken me to South Korea, Cambodia, the San Blas Islands,
and Rapa Nui. I have been in every USA state.