• My musical experience began when I was in the 3rd grade and my
grandfather bought a cornet for me at a garage sale.
• The cornet was in pretty bad shape and didn't last very long.
• In the 5th grade I decided to learn the viola in the school orchestra.
• I also wanted to be in the band so I decided to learn to play the tuba.
• When I got to high school, I quit the viola and I switched from the tuba to playing the trombone.
BANDS/GROUPS I HAVE PLAYED OR AM PLAYING IN
• I played in grade school, high school and junior college bands and orchestras in Independence, KS.
• Blue Notes Dance Band when I was in Independence Junior College.
• Mid-Continent Community Band at Riverside Park in Independence.
• *Prince of Peace Lutheran Church Orchestra in Carrollton.
• Handbell Choir at Prince of Peace.
• *Town North Concert Band (joined some time around 1995).
• *New Horizons Band Dallas (joined in 2018).
• I had a paper route and I also worked in a ladies shoe store while I was in high school and junior college.
• I enlisted in the Air Force in 1962 and was discharged in 1966.
• We moved to Ottumwa, IA where I taught computer systems and programming for 5 years at Indian Hills Community College.
• In 1971 I was promoted to head of the data processing department.
• In 1974 we moved to Carrollton where I was in charge of systems and programming at a publishing
company named National Share Graphics that went out of business around 1998.
• I worked at a few jobs after the company went out of business until 2002, when I accepted a job as assistant manager at Dollar General.
• I kept that job until I retired in 2010.
• My wife Dee and I were married June 14, 1964 in Omaha, NE.
• I was stationed at Offutt AFB at Omaha; Dee was a teacher in Omaha.
• Each of our 3 children have been involved in music ever since they started in school.
• Marty plays trombone, Craig plays trumpet, and Sally plays clarinet. Sally's husband Chris plays clarinet.
• We have 11 grandkids, most involved in music.